It was the vision of Thomas T.H. Hill, a former Clerk of the Circuit Court, to create a museum for King William County. At his death in 1998, he left in his will a sum of money to the King William Historical Society, of which he was a member, to create the museum.
In 2005, the King William Historical Society set up the Museum Council composed of society members and citizens of the county. Following the construction of the new Courthouse, the old Circuit Court Clerk's office was vacated and the county agreed to lease the space to the Historical Society.
With the completion of design and construction, the museum opened to the public in April, 2007. It is designed to be representative of the geography and multi-cultural background of the county, and is open to the public to promote education, understanding and appreciation of our common heritage through visitation, field trips and research.
Our museum is located in the old Circuit Court Clerk's office at King William County Courthouse, 227 Horse Landing Road
King William, VA 23086. Phone 804.769.9619 or email
. Hours of operation are March through November, Saturdays and Sundays1-5 pm and by appointment. To schedule an appointment call Rebecca Townsend 804.769.2318, David Brown 804.815.1066, or Cindy Puller 804.769.4009. Tours, groups and students welcome.