King William County Virginia Historical Society
  spacing image
spacing image
King William Historical Society current projects spacing image

A brief history of Acquinton Church:

Acquinton Church was one of four early colonial churches built in King William County, possibly on an earlier chapel site dating from 1690.

The walls are actually the remainder of a north wing that had projected from the center of a much larger, rectangular church that was built on the site around 1734. This wing was added sometime between 1755-1765 due to an increase in population, making the church a T-shape or cruciform structure.

Acquinton began as an Anglican parish church, a branch of the Church of England, prior to the Revolutionary War. After the war, other denominations gained popularity, and the Episcopalians (Anglicans) abandoned the church around 1800. It was freely used by Baptists, Methodists, and other congregations such as the "Campbellites" (led by Alexander Campbell) until the Civil War.

As a result of the hard times that fell upon the South after the war, the church fell into disrepair and was vacant for years, until the Methodists bought it in the 1870s. They tore down the original 1734 structure, and remodeled and extended the north wing, producing the present structure that stands at the site today.

The colonial glazed header Flemish bond brickwork can still be seen in the walls, as well as the colonial English bond brickwork in the beveled water table. The original colonial rounded window arches are still visible above the newer Gothic-style arches that the Methodists remodeled.

Several tombstones from the early 20th century remain in the churchyard, although there are many other unmarked ones as well.

Behind the church are the remains of a glebe house (a glebe property referred to the tract of land presented to a parson by an Episcopal parish for him to live near the church that he would be rector of). Across the street from the church are the remains of a 19th century general store (Warner-Edwards store), at which men enlisted for the Civil War.

The presence of these ruins at an intersection indicate that it was once a hub of community activity; an ideal location for people to congregate for not only religious activities, but social, commercial, and political ones as well.
spacing image
this brief history courtesy of Summer Chaffman

assuring our future by preserving our past King William Historical Society
© 2009 - spacer site by River City Web Design spacer site map spacer copyright and credits spacer last updated